A quick rinse under the tap is the most TLC a toothbrush normally gets. But they need more love than that. The bristles on a toothbrush can be damp and if not stored and aired correctly could be a hotbed for oral microbial organisms. Virus and bacteria can live for weeks on a toothbrush surface and continue to cause sickness. Even healthy microorganisms, that can live on a toothbrush can cause infections if they get into the gum tissue. So, if you haven’t cleaned off your toothbrush in a while, you might need to put it on your to-do list.
Take a read through our handy hints to help you get on top of toothbrush maintenance:
1. To properly clean your toothbrush you need to run it under boiling water, or rinse it in a mouthwash. Either of these methods will kill off any nasties that might have made a home on your bristles.
2. Store the brush upright and in a space that it can air out. The quicker those bristles dry off the better, bacteria loves a damp, moist environment.
3. Keep the toilet seat down when you flush and stop all those microorganisms floating around the room and landing smack, bang on your toothbrush head.
4. When the bristles start to fray, it’s time to change your brush. If the bristles are bent and worn they just won’t clean your teeth anymore. Say sayonara. Toothbrushes need to be replaced after three months.
5. Unfortunately, most toothbrushes are plastic and end up in landfill when you throw them out. (Unless of course, you use our One Good Brush, which is biodegradable, and you pop it in the compost bin when you’re finished.) That’s why we invented the Keeko Take Back Recycling Program, it’s super easy to send back any brand of oral care product to us and we’ll recycle it responsibly.
Take care of your toothbrush and it will take care of you.
Elevate your oral care routine with Keeko. Our range of safe and effective oral care essentials harnesses the power of natural non toxic dental products for your healthiest whitest smile yet. Shop Keeko