What’s worse than bad breath? Nothing. Like, literally nothing. It’s a mood killer, it’s embarrassing, it’s anti-social. But good news it’s preventable.
The cause of bad breath
Bad breath, or halitosis, occurs when bacteria in the mouth breaks down sugars and starches and produces a smelly gas. The actual smell varies depending on where the bacteria is in the mouth, there are hundreds of bacteria on our tongues alone, below the gumline, and pockets between the teeth that create a sulfurous smell.
If you have bad breath, there’s a chance you have tooth decay, and need to visit your dentist. There are other conditions that can cause bad breath like a throat infection, or ulcers, or digestive issue. Treat bad breath as an alarm bell ringing, something in your body needs addressing.
How to treat bad breath naturally
- Drink plenty of water. Dry mouth can cause halitosis, which is often caused by dehydration. So, fill up that water bottle and don’t let it leave your side!
- Brush and floss twice a day. You know it. We know it. Let’s do it. Use our Superclean Charcoal Toothpaste for a full detoxifying experience and a brighter, whiter, fresh breath smile. It’s all natural, vegan, safe, nourishes gums and removes plaque.
- A Copper Tongue cleaner. For fresher breath scrape away those nasty bacteria living on your tongue and revitalize your taste buds while you’re at it.
- Make fresh herby tea after dinner. Try cloves, fennel seeds or aniseeds, let them steep in hot water. They’re particularly useful in masking the smell of garlic or onions.
- Chew parsley, mint or basil. The chlorophyll in these herbs actually neutralize odours – watch they don’t get stuck in your teeth!
- Tea Tree Oil rinse. A 2016 study suggested that tea tree oil could help to reduce levels of bacteria in the mouth that produce those horrible sulfur smells. To make a tea tree oil rinse, use one drop of tea tree oil, in a few drops of vegetable oil in a cup of warm water. Swish in the mouth for 30 seconds. Don’t swallow, tea tree oil is toxic.
- Probiotic yoghurts or kefir milk, both introduce probiotics into the mouth that can help reduce the levels of bad bacteria and improve halitosis.
If making your own rinse or running around the garden finding herbs for your tea isn’t exactly the after dinner treats you were hoping for take a look at Keeko Oil Pulling. We are so proud of this product. It’s a natural mouth rinse that nourishes teeth and gums while killing off nasty bacteria and fighting bad breath. No one needs to put up with bad breath, especially you xx
Elevate your oral care routine with Keeko. Our range of safe and effective oral care essentials harnesses the power of natural non toxic dental products for your a whiter smile, fresher breath and healthier body. Shop Keeko