Want to give your immune system a boost now that the weather has cooled down?
Using Ayurvedic inspired healthy winter recipes is just the ticket to warm you up and strengthen your immunity for the months ahead. Ayurvedic practices focus on a ‘food as medicine’ approach using nutrient rich ingredients packed with vitamins and minerals to bolster your body’s natural immune response.
All ingredients within Ayurvedic medicine must adhere to the principles of the practice. This means they must be fresh, whole, unprocessed and easy to digest. When it comes to combatting specific ailments, such as a winter flu, then specific immune boosting herbs, vegetables and spices are added.
By eating these immunity boosting foods regularly you help your body resist infections and prevent the sickness from taking hold, rather than just treating the symptoms like in modern western medicine.
Here is an example of a simple yet very effective immunity boosting recipe for you to try this winter:
Immune Boosting Veggie Soup
- 4 cups of mushroom or vegetable broth
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 4-10 cloves garlic, to taste crushed and chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 4-8 fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1-3 tablespoons grated ginger root, to taste
- 1 fresh lemon, juiced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Bring the broth, onion, garlic, carrot, mushrooms and ginger-root to a slow boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer on low, covered, for 15 minutes or until the veggies are soft.
- Remove from heat; add the lemon juice and parsley.
- Cover and steep for 5 minutes.
This is just one example of Ayurvedic inspired cooking, incorporating this type of food into your diet can really take the edge of the winter flu season. Many more examples can be found in cookbooks and writings of Ayurvedic practitioners, for more information search for Ayurvedic medicine online or visit a local practitioner.
Shop Keeko's range of Ayurvedic Inspired Natural Dental Care