Your immune system is your bodies powerhouse for preventing infection from viruses and bacteria and fighting back when they infiltrate your body. However, most people don't realise how important that mouth's is when it comes to keeping you fit and healthy. If you are not taking care of it correctly, your body's ability to fight back against common illnesses may be compromised.
Why? It makes sense if you think about it. Your immune system can only cope with creating a limited amount of antibodies and white blood cells. So if it's working overtime to fight infections and attack bacteria in your mouth, it won't have the same ability to do so elsewhere in your body.
Gum disease, also known as Periodontal Disease or Gingivitis, is the most common disease found in the mouth. 47.2% of adults aged 30 years and older have some form of periodontal disease. You can often recognise the signs of Gum Disease if blood appears when brushing your teeth.
If you don't brush and floss properly and take care of your oral health, your mouth will be overwhelmed by harmful bacteria. These bacteria will attack your gums, eventually causing gum disease.
If your body needs to send immune cells to your mouth all the time to fight these bacteria, it simply won't be able to send as many immune cells to other parts of your body, weakening your overall immune response.
Ways To Improve You Oral Care & Enhance Your Immune System
There are some super simple things you can do to keep your mouth in tip top shape!
- Brush twice a day for two minutes. Ideally, you should brush once in the morning after you wake up, and once at night before you go to bed. This will remove the maximum amount of bacteria. Opt for a soft bristle to avoid damaging your gums.
- Floss once a day – You can floss at any time. If you find typical floss hard, try opting for floss sticks instead.
- Consider using mouthwash after meals – Mouthwash is no substitute for brushing and flossing, but it can help balance the oral microbiome and stop harmful bacteria from getting out of control. Steer clear from ones that contain Alcohol and opt for a natural mouthwash.
- Reduce your sugar intake – A healthy diet low in sugar and starches and high in whole grains, vegetables, fruits, and lean meats will help keep your mouth (and body) healthy.
- See your dentist every 6 months!
Elevate your oral care routine with Keeko. Our range of safe and effective oral care essentials harnesses the power of natural non toxic dental products for your a whiter smile, fresher breath and healthier body. Shop Keeko