While most people want the whitest and healthiest teeth they possibly can, many aren’t aware that mainstream dental care isn’t always the best for their health. In recent years, it has come to light that generic dental products such as toothpaste, mouthwash and dental floss are filled with ingredients that are less than ideal.
Because holistic health is so important to us here at Keeko, our mission was to create oral hygiene products that still allowed people to take care of their smiles but with a more natural approach. With much research, we came up with options that help whiten teeth, banish bad breath, detox the mouth and body, strengthen the teeth and gums, and promote glowing skin.
We were able to achieve this by only using the best and safest ingredients without any added nasties. Furthermore, we wanted to offer a range of dental care items that were vegan, 100% organic, Australian made and owned as well as dentist recommended. Keeko now sells a range of amazing products that are not only delicious but are able to be easily implemented into a daily dental care routine to replace mainstream products. Here is a closer look at some ingredients to be best avoided as well as a brief overview of our natural range.
Ingredients to avoid in dental products
Unfortunately, there are many ingredients in generic dental care products that can be damaging to our health. The following ingredients should be avoided when opting for a more natural approach to oral hygiene.
- Fluoride: Studies have shown that the overuse of fluoride can lead to discolouration and spots on the tooth enamel. To best avoid this, simply opt for fluoride-free options.
- Artificial sweeteners: In order to achieve a sweet (and addictive) taste, many brands include artificial sweeteners in their products. This can cause a laxative effect in many and can also increase saliva which then decreases essential bacteria in the mouth. Oil-pulling is a great alternative to brushing with sweetened options as it can clean teeth just as well (if not better).
- SLS: Sodium Lauryl Sulfate is a common ingredient that is known to cause skin and eye irritation. It is also frequently used as a pesticide so it wise to best avoid anything containing SLS.
Natural practices to implement instead
When changing to a more holistic approach, it doesn’t have to be a stressful process. There are many different options out there that can easily be introduced to any routine. Here is just a couple that we promote here at Keeko.
- Oil-pulling: Oil-pulling is an ancient Ayurvedic treatment that involves swishing organic coconut oil around inside the mouth. This helps reduce plaque and is also a safe way to detox the body. Our oil-pulling products blend coconut oil with essential oils to make them even more powerful and fun to use.
- Tongue-scraping: Tongue-scraping uses a metal tool to scrape the tongue and abolish bad breath. It is also a great way to reset the taste buds which can be handy when you have had a large lunch and then don’t want to crave another salty meal later in the day. It is a great alternative to mouthwash and is completely natural.
At the end of the day, there are many natural alternatives out there. It is as simple as giving them a go and seeing how they work for you and best fit into your schedule.